Dramaturgy in the New Decade
June 2021 • Mexico City, MX
Dramaturgismo en la Nueva Década
Junio de 2021 • Ciudad de México, México
The Literary Managers & Dramaturgs of the Americas (LMDA) has grown over 30+ years to become a multi-country service organization for artists working as dramaturgs and in many associated fields in the performing arts and beyond.
In 2020, during Crossing Borders Pt. 3: On the (Digital) Threshold, LMDA held its first fully digital and bilingual conference and, in partnership with HowlRound, reached audiences in 38 countries around the world. After crossing the digital threshold, and incorporating all the learned skills and tools, we are pleased to announce LMDA’s conference 2021 theme:
Without Borders: Dramaturgy in the New Decade
LMDA’s 2021 annual international conference will take place in México City, hosted by the newly established LMDA México and with the support of the Coordinación Nacional de Teatro of the Instituto Nacional de Bellas Artes y Literatura (INBAL).
This in-person gathering will be livestreamed for those who want to attend but cannot join us in Mexico City. Similar to the 2020 event, the 2021 conference will mix online synchronous and asynchronous content with an in-person gathering.
LMDA’s mission with this ground-breaking gathering is to ignite a global conversation about the impact / purpose / process / evolution of dramaturgy in the new decade. This conference will ask participants to examine how dramaturgy lives, breathes, and changes during/after the social, political, and economical adjustments that COVID-19 has brought to our lives.
Call for Proposals
“Without Borders: Dramaturgy in the New Decade” seeks proposals for conference sessions including panels, roundtables, workshops, and other dynamic conversations about what constitutes the idea of “dramaturgy without borders.” We are interested in engaging with artists from around the globe to explore ways in which dramaturgy is practiced.
Building upon the previous “Crossing Borders” conferences, we invite attendees and presenters to
explore how dramaturgy has transformed in your country, region, and organization by asking:
In what ways does dramaturgy continue to…
- reimagine and explore storytelling, creative processes, performance, and the design of theatrical events when borders disappear or are no longer limiting collaboration and creation?
- activate innovative approaches to performance, theatre, and interdisciplinary collaboration in the performing arts and beyond?
- instigate and curate conversations that actively respond to current circumstances within your institutions and communities?
- demand and facilitate inclusion on your stages and throughout our practice?
- disrupt and interrogate programming and decision making about what happens on stage?
- cultivate new audiences and foster new artists?
- pursue political engagement and facilitate direct political actions?
- push against borders as physical and social constructs that negatively impact the way theaters solicit, produce, and commodify art and artists?
- aesthetically, culturally, and/or politically reach across remaining borders?
“Without Borders: Dramaturgy in the New Decade” will feature digital asynchronous content available from June 1st 2021, digital synchronous content on June 17th and 18th, 2021, and an in-person gathering and presentations that will take place from June 26th to 29th, 2021 at Centro Cultural del Bosque in Ciudad de México, México.
Proposals for the asynchronous digital content, proposals for the synchronous digital content and proposals for the in-person gathering in Mexico City will be accepted through March 31st, 2021, 11:59 PM EST. All accepted applicants will be notified of the committee's decision by April 30th, 2021.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: all application deadlines (synchronous, asynchronous and in person proposals) have been deferred to March 31st.
Panels and presentations of the conference 2021 will be available in English and Spanish through simultaneous oral interpretation and/or closed captioning.
If you have any further questions, feel free to contact Brenda Muñoz, conference coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you don't receive an acknowledgement of your application within 7 days, please contact email@example.com.