What is LMDA’s “Case study and conversation” series?
A monthly chance to talk shop and trade notes with other dramaturgs on the central concerns and vital issues of the field. This series will provide a chance to connect with peers and practitioners from across the nation. Each call, a dramaturg will share a short, 10-15 minute case study about a recent project, followed by a broader discussion of the field-wide issues raised by that topic. What can we learn from each other, and how can we make what we do better? Facilitated by Anne G. Morgan (LMDA VP, Institutions) and Heather Helinsky (LMDA VP, Freelance) the case studies and topics will alternate between a more institutional focus and a more freelance one, though all LMDA members are welcome to join for all conversations.
Meetings will be held via conference call; participation is only open to current members of LMDA.
UPCOMING CALL: Saturday, January 25th at 6pm (Eastern)/3pm (Pacific)
Topic: New Year, New Resolution: Dismantling Ableist Structures in our Literary Offices
To Attend: LMDA members only, contact Heather at firstname.lastname@example.org for the Zoom video chat link.
Speakers: Andrea Kovich (Accessibility Consultant and Seattle-based Freelance Dramaturg) and Madison Parrotta (Theatre Breaking Through Barriers and NYC-based Freelance Dramaturg)
Click here for more information.
- October 2019: Dramaturgical Advocacy: Lessons for the Rehearsal Room from Chicago's "Not in our House" movement with Maren Robinson, moderated by Heather Helinsky.
- September 2019: Institutional Dramaturgy in times of Leadership Transition with Clare Drobot (City Theater), moderated by Anne G. Morgan
- August 2019: Back to School Night with PlayPenn Dramaturgs Michele Volansky & Julia Bumke (PlayPenn, Philadelphia)
- May 2019: Institutional Dramaturgy in times of Leadership Transition with Gavin Witt (Center Stage), moderated by Anne G. Morgan
- April 2019: Conversation with Jack Moore on the Public Theatre's Emerging Writers Group, moderated by Heather Helinsky
- March 2019: All Things Archiving with Ken Cerniglia (American Theatre Archive Project; Disney Theatrical Group), moderated by Anne G. Morgan
- February 2019: Shifting to a Community-based Model of New Play Development and Dramaturg as Creative Producer with David Winitsky (Jewish Plays Project), moderated by Heather Helinsky
- December 2018: New Play Partnerships Between Academic and Professional Artists and Theatres with Jacqueline Goldfinger (Playwright and Dramaturg) and Anne G. Morgan
- November 2018: Best Practices for Freelance Script Readers with Jeni Mahoney (Seven Devils Playwrights Conference), moderated by Heather Helinsky
- October 2018: #PlayOurPart and Theatres as sites of civic engagement with Sarah Lunnie (Playwrights Horizons), moderated by Anne G. Morgan
- January 2018: Return with Encouragement with Danielle Mages Amato (The Old Globe) and Charles Haugland (Huntington Theatre Company)
- October 2017: Setting Up Shop As a Dramaturg with Anne G. Morgan (American Shakespeare Center), moderated by Charles Haugland