- About LMDA
- Who We Are
- LMDA Board and Executive Committee
- Regional Groups
- University Caucus
- Early Career Dramaturgs
- Grants and Awards
- Dramaturg Driven Grants
- LMDA Residency Program
- Elliott Hayes Award for Outstanding Achievement
- GE Lessing Award for Career Achievement
- 2012 Grants and Awards Committee
- Resources For Dramaturgs
- LMDA Canada
The views expressed in these social media forms do not necessarily reflect those of LMDA
From the Dramaturgy Blogs
20 hours 17 min ago
- Photo Shoot: Chance and Here Lies Love Friday May 17, 2013 The Public Theater, 425 Lafayette Street Chance Magazine, discussed by our core staff in excited shouts and earnest whispers over the past year, inspiring articles on shoots in a Yonkers Mansion and the burlesque venue The Box, is now a real thing. Boxes of the first … Continue reading »
1 day 37 min ago
- What’s bubbling up under the sidewalk of the American theater? Shifting demographics. Institutional regional theaters cannot continue to program exclusively for an audience of white, baby boomer subscribers. That audience is moving to warmer climates. They are dying off. The Goodman Theatre appears to be paying attention to this shift. Quiara Alegría Hudes’s newest play, The Happiest Song Plays Last, is about burying the past to embrace the responsibility of the future. Her characters engage in...
Live on HowlRound TV: Write with & Get Advice from Suzan-Lori Parks—The Public Theater, NYC—Wed. May 22Posted at: HowlRound
1 day 2 hours ago
- You’re invited to join Suzan-Lori Parks from the lobby of The Public Theater for Watch Me Work which will be livestreaming for the global, peer-produced, open-source HowlRound TV project. The eight performances in this series happens on Wednesday, May 22 at 2pm PDT (San Francisco) / 4pm CDT (Austin) / 5pm EDT (New York) / 21:00 GMT / 10pm BST (London). View a conversion into your local time . Watch Me Work is a performance piece, a meditation on the artistic process, and an actual work session...
Confessions of a Dramaturgical Rockstar Wannabe
1 day 19 hours ago
- Hello Everyone, So, what is new in the land of me. After an initial cut using the Folio as a base text, I am now in the process of modernizing the text and incorporating the Folio punctuation into this modernized script. This is taking some time (as usual) but it will get done. I have decided that this is my project for the week so I hope to report by Friday that I am done with that and preliminary formatting. I think I am going to leave off the line numbers until I have the cuts back from the...
2 days 2 hours ago
- There’s been a lot of talk online recently about the need for women playwrights to be better represented, have more opportunities, and be, if you’ll excuse the vagary, more equal. That’s lovely. As a woman playwright, I am all for that kind of talk, and the more there is of it, in any context, the better. What worries me though, is that despite being a woman playwright, despite having made it my business for several years to try and push the cause of women playwrights, I find it hard to take...
Weekly Howl on Thursday, May 23: Culture Coin & Making the Not-for-Profit Arts Economy Work for ArtistsPosted at: HowlRound
2 days 2 hours ago
- The Weekly Howl is a peer-produced, open-access discussion about theater culture and contemporary performance that happens in real-time on Twitter using the hashtag #newplay .* Join us Thursday, May 23 for the Weekly Howl on hashtag #newplay at 11am PDT – 12pm PDT (Los Angeles) / 1pm CDT – 2pm CDT (Chicago) / 2pm EDT – 3pm EDT (New York) / 18:00 GMT – 19:00 GMT / 7pm BST - 8pm BST (London) / 8pm CEST - 9pm CEST (Paris). Click here for an automatic conversion into your local time . The topic for...
2 days 5 hours ago
- Dramatists Guild of America presents Social Media from the Playwright’s Perspective. This event will be live on HowlRound TV on Tuesday, May 21 at 2:30pm PDT (San Francisco) / 4:30pm CDT (Austin) / 5:30pm EDT (New York) / 21:30 GMT / 10:30pm BST (London). View the conversion into your local time here . Moderated by Deborah Murad, the Dramatists Guild’s Director of Business Affairs, this panel will discuss recent trends in social media and online platforms such as You Tube, Twitter, Facebook,...
Anne Hamilton Dramaturgy
2 days 5 hours ago
- My Parents Were Tiger People: christopher oscar peña chats about writing race with A. Rey Pamatmat Excerpt: A. Rey Pamatmat: In the lobby for a production of my play Edith Can Shoot Things and Hit Them I overheard a woman say, “This play would get done everywhere if the main characters weren’t Asian.” Discussing the same play, a young future theater professional asked, “Why are Kenny and Edith Filipino?” To which I replied, “Why are you white?” And in the year following my apparent need to...
CENTERSTAGE's Thaumaturgy Blog
2 days 16 hours ago
- nevver: Christian Bök & Micah Lexier In honor of our RAISIN CYCLE plays and the conversation they knit around the palimpsest of RAISIN IN THE SUN, check out this marvelous instance of textual “riffing.”
3 days 23 min ago
- A. Rey Pamatmat: In the lobby for a production of my play Edith Can Shoot Things and Hit Them I overheard a woman say, “This play would get done everywhere if the main characters weren’t Asian.” Discussing the same play, a young future theater professional asked, “Why are Kenny and Edith Filipino?” To which I replied, “Why are you white?” And in the year following my apparent need to justify putting Asian-American characters on stage, others did their best to keep Asian actors off stage by...
- 1 of 36